A fire service support worker says he had to undergo two tests for coronavirus and then had to wait for almost a month to receive the result.

Robert Moruzzi, who works for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said he was invited for a test on April 19, but had to return after problems with his first test.

And he then had to wait for almost four weeks to finally receive the results, which proved negative.

The  29-year-old, from Clydach, said the errors left him anxious for weeks, as he waited to find out whether he had been infected by the coronavirus.

He said: “The fire service’s HR department arranged the testing, and I went to the testing station at Cardiff City Stadium.

“My colleagues visited the days before, some of whom tested negative, others postivie.

“Fortunately, the colleagues I work closely with on a daily basis have all tested negative.

“All my other colleagues had their results back within 48-72 hours, with a phone call plus a text message with their result, through the Public Health Wales’ new text messaging system, or maybe UK Governments new text messaging system

“But my 72 hours passed, I had no phone call or text message. For all I know, I could have been testing positive, being a carrier of Covid-19.

“I was seriously anxious about still going into work, when my test result was still outstanding.

“All throughout that week I’d been chasing our HR department and they had chased Public Health Wales. I eventually called their helpline myself.

“I was told there may have been a problem with the swab or test tube that I’d been given, and had to rearrange my test. I was also told it could have been a data entry error”.

There’s often so much information to take in right now, it can be hard to know what to look out for.

So if you want to stay up to date with all the latest news from varying aspects of Welsh life, you can sign up to one of our newsletters as a simple way to keep on top of things.

You’ll receive a curated email, with all the important stories – and stories which interest you – in one place.

We send a range of newsletters each day – sometimes twice a day – on the latest news, up-to-the-minute stories and information on coronavirus as well as the latest Cardiff City, Swansea City, and Welsh rugby sports stories.

We also send out some newsletters on a weekly basis: for example our What’s On newsletter, or our In Case You Missed It email, helping you catch up with any stories you might have missed.

Our current range of newsletters includes:

News Swansea news Cardiff City FC Swansea City FC What’s On Rugby In Case You Missed It Reach tickets

To sign up for one – or even all – of these newsletters is easy and completely free.

Just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre. Once you’re there put your email address where it says ’email’ at the top then click on the newsletters you want to receive.

When you’ve made your choice press the ‘update’ preference button at the bottom.

That’s it. Your emails will come through to your inbox from that moment on.

So sign up for a WalesOnline newsletter to make sure you know what’s going on in our brilliant country and around the world.

After returning to the testing centre a week later, Mr Moruzzi was once again tested, but then had to endure a wait of almost three weeks for his reult.

“After leaving the facility, I couldn’t wait to get my result, and put my mind at peace, and reassurance that I’m not going to infect my family with this terrible virus.

“But I didn’t get my result back from Public Health Wales, which was negative, until May 13.

“I feel this is absolutely shocking, to get someone’s test so wrong, twice within a short space of time.

“It’s just so fortunate I’m not showing any symptoms of having Covid-19, otherwise it’d be a very different ball game, I’m sure.

Public Health Wales said it could not comment on individual cases.

But a spokesman added: “Public Health Wales is constantly working to improve our processes to ensure that we provide test results in the most timely manner possible.”


Source link